The next stage of the work to develop Clyde Cycle Park is now getting underway which will involve creating a bigger compound to house a pavilion unit and other facilities. We will at last have somewhere for Park users to have a cuppa after coaching sessions! The pavilion unit will have a kitchenette and awning, space for people to meet, sit and chat. The compound will also have a mobile toilet and generator.
This is part of Phase 2 of the development of the Park, which has seen a new perimeter fence on the road-sides of the Park, site clearance and hard-core for a bigger car park. The work has also involved the groundworks along the line of the Phase 2 track – giving us a 1km circuit. Much of the funding for the track is in place through grants from sportscotland, Scottish Government and South Lanarkshire Council, but we still have a funding gap and are talking to potential private sector sponsors and foundations to help us make up the total to allow track construction to start in the New Year.
Our Masterplan has been refined over the summer to ensure that as little track as possible is under the power lines. So the finish straight comes in from a slightly different direction and the location of the clubhouse has been shifted slightly.
As far as the different phases are concerned
- Phase 1 involved developing the first circuit – a 250m loop which is now being used throughout the week for community cycling sessions and club training,
- Phase 2 is underway, as explained above,
- Phase 3 will involve a further 800m of track, for which we have started putting in grant applications,
- Phase 4 will involve a clubhouse, with changing rooms, showers, a café, restaurant, an extended car park and an active travel hub.
- We have also made provision for cycle speedway, a pump track and space for cyclocross.
Lots achieved, and much still to do! If you would like more information, to get involved as a volunteer, or to discuss sponsorship opportunities, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07973 744807. Thanks – we look forward to hearing from you!